September 09, 2004

My first convent

Today I have been attending my first convent at Kristkirken in Bergen. The ministers of the Lutheran state-church came together with pastors from most of the denominational and non-denominational churches in the city. The ministers of the state-church and the pastors from the other churches have been together before at a similar gathering, but at that time I have been on a ministry trip outside of Bergen.
Dr. Eddie Gibbs, a seasoned scholar of church growth, had been asked to share his insight on being a missional church in a post-Christendom society. He certainly was worth listening to! I enjoyed his insight very much and found it thought provoking and enlightening listening to him. Here are some of his observations on leadership attributes of the emerging church:
Humble and self-effacing
Competent technically and relationally
Stimulates creativity
Prepared to take calculated risks
Trustworthy and trust building
Courage and calm in the face of adversity
Inspires the team – constantly recruiting
Inclusive and empowering
Patient and persevering – long term commitment
Respect for and consideration of others

At the end he remarked that a hallmark of a great leader is having bigger and different people around himself, not smaller people. Diversity and variety in the team members enlarge all the members of the team as they are complementing each other.

I recommend his book, Church Next, it contains a lot of helpful insight!

View Solveig's blog and I am somebody and My new blog

No comments: