December 25, 2003

Books are precious gifts

Books are precious gifts
On Christmas Eve I had the great joy of unwrapping many presents from my wife, children, grandchildren and friends. I find unwrapping packets very exciting. I have never grown up. I am still like a curious little boy, eager to tear off the paper and explore what's inside. And I still prefer to get hard packets.
This year I had all kind of gifts to unwrap. They came in many different shapes, some hard, some soft, and some in between. But the hard gifts of books are the most precious to me! Chocolate I eat and share with others, and then it is gone. Clothes last a little longer, giving both pleasure and warmth before they are worn out. But books live forever. They may be torn and worn, but the more they are used the longer they live in fresh insight and renewed life. I love to unwrap books. I love to read. Books enlarge my life and make me a better person. They enable me to serve my fellow human beings in a better way. Books are precious gifts.

View Solveig's blog and my poetic blog

No comments: