October 14, 2003

Don't run from suffering

Don't run from suffering
Jesus told his disciples what they could expect for themselves: �Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You�re not in the driver�s seat�I am. Don�t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I�ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? If any of you is embarrassed with me and the way I�m leading you, know that the Son of Man will be far more embarrassed with you when he arrives in all his splendor in company with the Father and the holy angels. (Luke 9:23- The Message)
I am impressed by the frankness of Jesus and the strength of his demand to his followers. His words are very challenging to everyone in this postmodern society where the individual experience of well-being seems to be the only absolute truth. Here are some more quotes from Jesus in the words of Peterson in the Message:
You become great by accepting, not asserting. Your spirit, not your size, makes the difference.
First things first. Your business is life, not death. And life is urgent: Announce God�s kingdom!
No procrastination. No backward looks. You can�t put God�s kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day
Not what you do for God but what God does for you�that�s the agenda for rejoicing
Don�t bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need.

No comments: