August 11, 2002

Holiday is over

Today I was back to the ordinary life. Holiday is over. My job is calling me to work again. So this first day of the week I went to church this morning. The building was quite full of people with a lot of visitors and new students in town. The best part of the service for me was when the Pastor during his sermon called Reidar to the front to tell the church of some experiences he had the previous weekend when Reidar had been hiking in the mountains of Hardanger, Norway.
Reidar is a farmer and a carpenter. He is not big or tall, but quite short and broad-shouldered. He is kind of a rough guy, a hard working fellow. The way he walks and talks tells everyone that he is not urban at all. He is not one of these post-modern types you find in universities or libraries or in the virtual world of the Web. He is just an ordinary simple Norwegian village guy, - a real man.
I was touched by his sincere way of telling his story and his story almost moved me to tears in its simplicity. After 10 hours of walking in the mountains he finally reached the cabin for mountain walkers. He was hungry and tired and had little time for preparing food before the common sleeping time. However he took notice of a man on a crutch, he had hurt himself on his walk and was order to rest in the cabin for one week. Probably a helicopter had to bring him back to civilisation. Reidar immediately had compassion on him and felt a desire to pray for him.
Before he went to sleep, the Holy Spirit spoke to Reidar about laying hand on this fellow who had hurt his leg so he couldn�t move with out a crutch. �I was a big glee,� he said, �I was filled with joy. I just knew that God wanted to bless this guy. I almost couldn�t wait for the morning to appear to pray for him.
The following morning Reidar approached the guy and told him that he was a Christian believer and asked for permission to pray for him. Immediately tears appeared in his eyes and he gladly accepted prayer. Reidar shared his testimony with him, read to him from the New Testament before he prayed for him and blessed him in the name of the Lord. After some time of fellowship together Reidar had to leave to reach another cabin in his hiking route.
Did a healing take place? I don�t know. But I know that the man with the broken leg was touched by the love of God expressed through Reidar the carpenter. I also know that if I care for people the same simple way as Reidar, people may encounter God though me.
Reidar really is somebody. If you like to read a simple poem inspired by this story visit: www.tobesomebody.blogspot.com

No comments: