August 29, 2002

Servanthood

Today the Lord impressed on me the issue of servanthood. I have been teaching all morning in Bergen Bible School. What a terrific bunch of good students we have this year, 33 in numbers. I have totally enjoyed my time with them. At lunch the issue of servanthood was forced on us through one person that had to end his lunch break to find a key for one of the students.
The Lord asked me: "What would you have done? How would you had responded to that request? Do you have a serving heart or are you just doing a job? Do you bring any personal sacrifices to serve people that seem to be less significant than yourself? Are there really any people less significant than you? How do you rate people? What make them significant?"
I realised that all human beings share the same significance of being created in the image and likeness of God. Even though we are all infected by sin, we are still loved by God. Our significance comes from the fact that the Son of God was willing to die for us. Each person I meet is one Jesus Christ died for on the cross. Such a person must be treated nicely and with respect. Each person I meet is one Jesus Christ came to serve and to give his life as a ransom for. Shouldn't I be willing to serve that person with a good attitude?
In the kingdom of God serving is not a way to power-postions or greatness. Serving is the only true greatness there is. Servanthood is the hallmark of the life of the kingdom of God. If I don't serve others with a sincere heart, I don't represent the kingdom of God.

Oh God, forgive me all the times I have only represented myself, my own interests, my own reputation and not cared for the wellfare of others nor given any thoughts of bringing honour to you through my words and actions. You know, this has happened to often. Please make servanthood the hallmark of my life!

Take also look at http://tobesomebody.blogspot.com

No comments: