August 30, 2002

A precious ornament


Yesterday we were visiting Arvid, a brother that I baptised in 1969. He had invited us for a long time to come to see him. He wanted to talk to us over a cup of coffee in his home. For so many years we had been out of touch but now the time had come to fellowship again. I didn�t know what to expect when we went to see him but it is always good to spend time with old acquaintances.
After a warm welcome, some coffee, cakes and updating of one another, he wanted to hear my story as well as to tell his. Life had not been easy for him. He had suffered a lot of losses and gone through many difficulties. He had been struggling with illness and disease. He had been through a deep darkness but now the light was shining over his life again. �Looking back�, he said, �I wouldn�t have been without this experience of suffering and hardship. In fact it has become to me precious treasure and an honourable ornament. The Lord never left me or forsook me but he carried me through everything safely.�
I was blessed by his testimony. In fact his words are still burning within me, �an honourable ornament.� He was marked for life, marked by sufferings and hardships, but he wore it like a precious ornament, he was adorned with dignity. What a precious treasure God let us find in the dark places! How wonderful he is in his mysterious workings! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and methods!

No comments: