September 06, 2002

Understanding the Bible

Today has been another interesting day at the Bible School. For five hours I have been teaching and dialoguing with bright students on how to understand the Bible. We have looked at some hermeneutical guidelines to come to the right conclusions. I illustrated the need for guidelines by giving them some weird interpretations of some Scripture portions. The strange thing is that there are always some students that believe these weird interpretations to be very spiritual. The same thing happened today but I was pleased to discover that lots of them didn�t get trapped by my attempt.
Before I went to work this morning I was reading in the prophet Ezekiel. Some words that the Lord spoke to him are the real keys in arriving at the right understanding of the Word:
�Son of man, get all these words that I�m giving you inside you. Listen to them obediently. Make them your own!� Ezekiel 3:10 The Message
It is all about getting the word on the inside, by listening obediently, making the word part of our own life. Then we will be able to share the message of God in a trustworthy way with our fellow men and women because we have become one with the Word in such a way that we are a message of God. When we are living out the Word in our ordinary life our life become a message of God to our neighbours and fellow workers.

No comments: