June 26, 2003

Clean up your act

Clean up your act
Something has struck me while I have been reading in Isaiah and Jeremiah. Over and over again God is saying that he is tired of their performance religion. God doesn't want our sacrifices as such, he doesn't want our worship services as such, he doesn't want our singing as such. Rather God is very clear on what he wants:
Clean up your act - the way you live, the things you do - so I can make may home with you! Only if you do a total spring cleaning on the way you live and treat your neighbours, only if you quit exploiting street people and orphans and widows, no longer taking advantage of innocent people, - only then I will move into your neighbourhood and make your country my permanent home, my temple!
It is the way we live and fail to listen that leads us into troubles. Jeremiah gave this complaint: It's because our leaders are stupid. They never asked God for counsel, and so nothing worked right and the people are scattered all over.
Over and over again God is saying to the people: Obey what I tell you. Do exactly what I command you. Your obedience will close the deal. You'll be mine and I'll be yours. Listen to the terms of my covenant and carry them out!
God is calling us to live a holy life before him. A listening heart, a responsive spirit and joyful obedience are what is needed to enjoy the blessing of God's wonderful presence!

No comments: